This can be a pretty crazy month. The weeks go by like minutes and there is so much to do! I’m right there with you. That’s exactly why, this week, I’ve been sharing recipes that are nutritious and can be made ahead of time so that your health and sanity stay intact. Today, we’re gonna make something that covers both of these bases and that is so pretty it can be made for guests. Booyah!
Well, let’s get to the nitty gritty, shall we? I was thumbing through a Martha Stewart yesterday looking for a dessert recipe that is both healthy and easy to make. She had a gorgeous roasted fruit recipe with plums and peaches that I was in love with. I decided to put a more Mexican twist on it and use mango, pineapple, and orange. They came out awesome!
This dessert is as easy as slice, broil, and serve. And while you see that it’s served with ice cream in the photo, this is definitely an optional component. While testing the recipe, I ate it both with and without the ice cream and both are fantastic. The mint adds a freshness to the fruit that really elevates it and the pomegranate seeds contribute an addicting crunch.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is definitely great for entertaining. First, it’s purty. (Ain’t it, though?) It’s even got the red and green thing going on for a Christmas kind of feel. Second, it appeals to a wide array of guests. It can be vegan (with vegan ice cream and without the honey), gluten free, fat free (without the ice cream), and it’s even kid friendly. In fact, it’s been approved by my 4 year old son. It has the ability to be served at room temperature without the ice cream, but I do recommend adding the fresh mint at the last minute to minimize wilting. I am definitely a huge cheerleader for this dish, it’s got so many awesome things about it.
So fear not, if you need an easy sweet treat to munch on that is guest friendly, I’ve totally got you covered. Have an awesome weekend, y’all, and I’ll see you next week!
- 1 pineapple, skin removed, quartered, core removed, and sliced ½-inch thick
- 4 mangoes, peeled, flesh cut from the pit, and sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 oranges, peel cut away and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 medium pomegranate, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, cut into a chiffonade (sliced into ¼-inch wide strips)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, dairy or vegan (optional)
- Sprinkle the pineapple, mango, and orange slices with sugar. Place the sliced pineapple on a broiler pan and boil until browned and lightly charred on top, about 5 minutes. Set aside and repeat with the mango and orange slices, working in batches.
- Place the roasted fruit on a platter and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with honey, if desired, mostly concentrating on the oranges because they have a more bitter flavor. Sprinkle with the fresh mint, serve with ice cream, if you like, and devour immediately.