Warm toast has to be one of the best smells in the world. My very first jobs was in a diner in the middle of nowhere and the only thing that made waking up early for the breakfast shift worth it was the smell of toast. White toast, wheat toast, rye toast– they really should bottle that scent. Could you imagine? You’d have hungry admirers following you around everywhere, although I’m not sure their intentions would be pure. They’d just want you for the toast.
And who could blame them? Something so delicious and so simple deserves regard. So when I first heard of avocado toast, I was like “What is this healthy-shmelthy hooey? Oh gawd, who am I kidding? This looks AMAZING!” I mean, really? Two of my favorite things (avocado and toast) combined? This is happening.
So, of course, because we love Mexican food, there is a south of the border twist to this toast. Avocados, radishes, jalapenos, red onion, cilantro, and of course we had to kick it up a bit and throw in some chorizo. As soon as I tasted this toast, I was certain– I could eat this every day for the rest of my life. It hits all of the flavor bases– spicy, rich, acidic, fresh, salty. And it’s substantial. This is a legit breakfast. It’s got complex carbs, fiber, and healthy fats from the avocado. It has a bit of piggy fat in there from the chorizo, too. Yum, yum!
This is about the time in the blog post when I start to throw some cooking tips out there or how you can make the recipe easier, but I got nothin’. Nada. Zip. This recipe is so simple. Just make some toast, smear on some mashed avocado with lime and salt, top with cooked chorizo and sliced veggies. That’s it. Easy as pie– er toast– umm– you know what I mean!
What do you guys think of avocado toast? Have you tried it? We wanna hear all about it! See you next time!
- 8 slices of loaf bread (we used a whole wheat artisan bread)
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 2 large avocados
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster or 400ºF oven to your liking.
- Place the chorizo in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook until slightly crispy, breaking it up as you go, cooking for about 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Cut the avocados open and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently mash the avocados with a fork until they are creamy, but still slightly chunky.
- Smear an even amount of avocado onto each piece of toast, spoon on the chorizo, and top with the radish slices, followed by the jalapeno, red onion, and finally the cilantro leaves. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, then devour immediately!