I’m not a morning person, but sometimes I really wanna be one. We’ve already discussed my zombie-like state for the first hour or so of each and every day. But dog gonnit, I love to cook and sometimes I really want to make a special, tasty breakfast for my family. They really do deserve it. After all, Tony is always challenging me to be the best version of myself and can be a real sweetheart. And my son, he’s a handful, but he’s also really funny and smart and also candy-sweet at times. Did I mention I’m a lucky lady? Well, I am.
So I want to make my dudes some serious breakfast. It’s skillet time. Skillets are great for the morning impaired because they are simply a handful of ingredients sauteed together to form something amazing. They’re also awesome for using up leftovers, but more on that later. Easy, right?
This skillet that I’m about to embark upon has 6– count ’em, 6 ingredients. Mexican chorizo, cooked quinoa, bell peppers, onion, eggs, and a bit of cilantro if you like. You don’t even have to cook the eggs separately. It’s all in 1 pan. If you prefer scrambled eggs, simply whisk your eggs, then pour over the quinoa mixture at the end of the cooking process. Stir and cook until your eggs are fluffy and delicious. Boom! It’s breakfast time.
This skillet is hearty and delicious. It’s packed with protein and fiber that will keep you filled up well until lunch time rolls around. And because it has chorizo, it’s flavorful and a bit spicy with lots of onion, clove, cinnamon, and chile flavor. It also has quinoa, which is technically a superfood. Yup, a breakfast fit for kings (and queens).
Too little time? Try this hack. If you feel so inclined, try making your quinoa the night before. In fact, make a double batch of quinoa and eat half of it with your dinner the night before. If you’re feeling extra frisky, you could even make your sauteed bell peppers and onions the night before. You could also use other already cooked veggies you have lying around. (Leftovers!) With these two steps out of the way, your breakfast skillet morning prep becomes something you could almost do while you’re still asleep. All you have to do is fry the chorizo until it’s cooked through, then throw in your veggies and quinoa. Cook until hot, add the eggs, slap it in the oven, and it’s done. You’re a breakfast superstar.
Have you had a skillet before? What kind of breakfast says, “I love you” to you? Tell us about it! See you later, alligator.
- ⅔ stick (4 ounces) Mexican chorizo
- 2 large red, yellow, or orange bell peppers or a mix of the 3, large diced
- 1 large onion, large diced
- 2 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and break up in the skillet. Immediately add the peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chorizo, peppers, and onions until the chorizo is cooked through and the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa, season, and cook until hot.
- Dig 4 wells into the quinoa mixture. Crack the eggs, one at a time into a bowl, then place an egg in each well. Cook the skillet in the oven until the eggs reach your desired doneness. Serve immediately.